Wednesday, August 10, 2016

My Self-Publishing Adventure: Part III


As I said in my most recent post, my agent provided a lot of pre-publication advice for my debut indie book The Song of Orpheus, helping me find a copy editor, a formatter, a cover artist, and a book designer. She’s providing assistance in post-publication, as well. Publicity and marketing takes expertise, and I have very little expertise in that area. So I decided to hire a publicist.

I’ve used publicists twice in the past and haven’t been too happy with them. There’s no way to measure results, so I don’t know if they were effective, but honestly, I don’t think they did anything I couldn’t have done myself. (Which isn't all bad; I didnt and dont have time to beat the bushes, so having them find outlets saved me time. But I wanted more than time-saving, so I kept looking.) When I met and liked, and then heard good things about, a third publicist, I asked Lara to check out her company. Her report was very positive, so I signed with JKS Communications to spread the word about Orpheus.

I’ve been really, really happy with JKS. They’ve dug up all sorts of opportunities I would never have thought of and didn’t know existed, and they’re quick and responsive when I have questions or issues.

Of course, I have to pay for anything to do with publicity and marketing, including the fee to JKS. I told them how much I had to spend, and they tailored a campaign around that. I’ve also paid to send books to reviewers; for a paid review in Kirkus (more on that in the next post); for a launch party with beautiful and delicious cookies, wine, etc.; for travel/lodging at events.

Hand-decorated cookies from Dulce Desserts!

Is it expensive? Yes, but it’s part of the cost of doing business and I know it’s what I have to do.

Next post: More on the business side of indie publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment